Oct 15, 2018
Why do some people parse a space well and others get snowed?
- Energy landscapes
- Global optimization
- Shape of space vs strategy for optimizing in it
What are situations where you'll need to integrate a large data
- Either data that you don't understand the structure of, or just
too much of it.
- Quantum mechanics: different representations mastery can not
- Recognition of form
- Domain shear in programming architecture: components that
haven't been designed with each other in mind. Domain Driven
Design book. Rationality community's double
- Umbrella topics: not thinking of the whole as the sum of its
parts, e.g. Obamacare
At what point do you need to do work in the space as opposed to
just reading about it?
- Build a thing, visit a place, have an experience?
- Podcasting on a thing: what bar is needed for sufficient
understanding to talk about it?
- Journalism: you have to actually touch primary source, not just
other journalistic products.
- How? Go places, read textbooks, compute. Run numbers (as done
often on Slate Star
- Observation vs Randomized Controlled Trial: build the thing to
know what biases are built in.
Potential topic areas
- Moral philosophy
- AI risk
- Science fiction and fantasy
- Physics simulation
- Drug development
Preliminary research: How do you do it?
- What to do after first-depth internet search hits limits.
- Make an actual research plan.
- Decide if e.g. you need experts, technical documents etc.
- Start drawing yourself a map.
- Written out decision tree process.
Avi's map: Designing a House
- My goal is to learn what I would need to know to get a house
that I would be happy with built.
- Re-read "A Pattern Language" carefully
- Find out the typical procedure for working with an architect -
communication style, cost, time.
- Learn what major classes of housing site/lot there are (e.g.
terrain type, climate, access, zoning).
- Find a set of example houses that have at least one thing I
like a lot to draw parts from.
- Ideally, do Habitat for Humanity or in some other way get
involved in the process of building a house.
- Make a list of activities and functions that are important to
me for living in a house.
- Locate and speak with a professional architect and ask them
what I should learn before embarking on designing a house.
Bugsby's map: Space
- My goal is to learn about the past and present of space
exploration enough to present an opinion about the future.
- Skim my old Astronomy textbook.
- Read a history of space exploration.
- Re-read a popular technical analysis of the good and bad things
about the shuttle program.
- Find and read a book about the present state of space
- Find some opposing viewpoint articles about private space
- Learn enough about SpaceX and Blue Origin to say what's
different about each of them.
- Read James Michener's "Space" OR re-read Kim Stanley Robinson's
"Red Mars" OR read the sequel "Green Mars".